Friday, March 6, 2009

Crushing Pride: Remember God


“Beware lest you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.’ You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. And if you forget the Lord your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I solemnly warn you today that you shall surely perish.” Deuteronomy 8:17-19

What was the last thing your wife or somebody else asked you to do? Can you remember what it was? I’ll give you a moment to think about it… Do you need more time?

Hey, let’s all face it brothers, we all FORGET stuff, don’t we? Forgetting things is really innocently a part of life. However, some forgetfulness comes with a high price. Case in point, if you come in everyday for work saying, “I forgot what time I was supposed to show up, your boss would probably show YOU the door.” Also, if you forgot to bring your wedding ring to the altar during your marriage ceremony, you’re probably still haunted by your forgetfulness and in the dog house with your wife. What if you continue telling your wife that you keep forgetting everyday to brush your teeth but still want one of those passionate kisses that you like? Now, that’s nasty forgetfulness…

But if you forget to take out the trash maybe once every other month, there would be no big deal. Or if you forget to put the toilet seat down every now and then, it wouldn’t be anything to stress over (depending on who you’re married too)… Bottom line, there are some things that are critical to remember and there are some things that are not so critical, as long as it doesn’t become consistent and habitual.

In Deuteronomy, Moses, Israel’s 120 year old leader is preparing a new generation destined for the Promised Land after surviving 40 years in the wilderness. Being proactive, Moses encourages them to obey, not following the horrific examples of their predecessors. Throughout his discourse he tells the people over and over “beware lest you forget.” Why would he say this? And what does this have to do with “crushing pride” in my life? Moses understands that forgetfulness tends to lead to arrogance and disobedience. Think about it? When we forget over and over to do something, we are communicating to ourselves and to others that “we don’t need to remember, no matter how important it is or anyone thinks it is.” For example, what happens when you ask your son to clean up his room every day and he doesn’t? He casually tells you everyday that he keeps forgetting. What is he communicating to you? Unless he has a mental or developmental challenge, he is saying, “Dad, what you are asking me to remember is not important to me even though it’s important to you!”

Forgetfulness also can lead to disobedience because it “excuses” ones ability to obey what has been instructed.

Moses was telling this “new generation” not to become deceived into thinking that their own hands had anything to do with them receiving all the benefits of the Promised Land. In other words, “Don’t ever think that it’s by your power or might that you receive anything.” Moses says, “Everything you have is a gift of grace from God.”

It is so easy for us men to think that WE had something to do with our “success”, “progress” and our “wealth.” Everything we have is a gift of grace from God! However, pride convinces us to say, “I did it, that’s why I’m enjoying it.” It also says, “I go to work everyday and make it happen, God didn’t have anything to do with what I accomplish.” But here’s the leveler, “What if God decided to allow your heart to stop beating?” Or what if God allowed a blood clot to lodge in your main artery which would stop the flow of blood to your heart? Everything we have, are and ever will attain to be is because of God whether we accept that or not.

Listen to me! Remember God! Remember God! Remember God! Don’t forget that “every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” – James 1:17

Remember, it is God who deserves all of the glory, not us.

As you seek to crush pride in your life ask Him, “Jesus, please keep reminding me that it’s you I need! It’s you that has provided for everything I am and everything I have. It is you who has given me wealth, success, good friends, a family, a place to live, influence, good health, food to eat, soundness of mind, people who love me, children, etc… Help me to remember you and make time in my day to honor you, serve you, learn about you and surrender my life to you. In Jesus name, Amen”

Next week, I’ll show you how “not remembering God” leads to worshiping everything but HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment